PLANET ZEB! Internet Radio

The blogspot for the award-winning PLANET ZEB! Internet Radio, playing a better variety of 80s/90s-based rock and pop on Live365.com/iTunes/iRadio/TiVO and more. Come on in and read up on what's going on and chat with other Zebbites!!

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Live365 Green Room Visitors, Beware....

I just hadda drop a quick message in the blog regarding one of my recent (and fortunately brief and sparse... see last entry) visits into the Live365.com Community's Green Room (forums.live365.com-- obviously, the IT people there, like most of the community's usership, have no appreciation for Latin). This has been the 2nd visit in the last, oh, two weeks, and it's also the second time in as many visits I've seen some really crappy pseudo-legal advice being passed off by one or more of the pseud0-know-it-alls who occupy the Green Room and try to convince people they know what the hell they're talking about.

WARNING: if you are a Live365 broadcaster and are in need of legal advice regarding your station, you should not be asking it in the Green Room, where you're likely to get five people respond who will ALL give you very, very dangerous opinions and pass them off as authoritative information. You should instead do one of two things very, very quickly:

(A) email Live365.com's legal department and make an official inquiry of them. Not only is it their service and therefore their rules which govern, but if they give you wrong advice, at least you can plead "substantial reliance" and implead them as a responsible third party when someone sues your pants off because you did something in violation of the DMCA, patently stupid, or both. Or...

(B) contact your own legal counsel, licensed to practice law in your own state or other jurisdiction, and preferably it'll be someone with some Intellectual Property, internet or new media or other similar practice experience. Ask them if you can do what you want to do. Better to get an answer out of someone who's actually gone to law school and knows how to read both statute and case law than it is to place the well-being of your station (and potentially every penny you have as a private individual) in the hands of respondents in a chat room who tell you patently wrong things. And worse still, who leave a printed record of their advice regarding how to try to "skirt the law" for anyone-- including RIAA or SoundExchange counsel-- to come along and print any time they darned well please. :)

OK, so WHY didn't I put this information in the Live365 Green Room itself? I contemplated it.... but if you read my earlier message, you know that I've been a much, much happier puppy of late not having to deal with the waves of uncontrollable grief that place perpetually produces (I was beginning to feel like Marvin the Robot from Hitchhiker's Guide, in fact!). If I posted what I would have intended as a helpful bit of advice in there, there'd be 12 responses the very next day-- mostly from the pseudo-know-it-alls who have to try to legitimize themselves as the "big, experienced long-timers" in the forum so as to impress the newer broadcasters-- telling me that I was trying to scare people, or that "law X" was clearly unconstitutional, or that it's clear according to THEM that intentional skirting of relevant federal copyright law is perfectly OK as long as it "seems" random (and, as noted supra, this argument would be in writing...chuckle).

So better to put it here for anyone who actually WANTS to stay safe and legal-- or who at the least prefers more reliable, realistic "it's a toss-up" advice to the certainty of a quick, clear, simple and probably WRONG two-word answer-- and in addition, I don't have to let any of the folks who really get on my nerves with their two-word answers argue the toss over here and confuse those in search of information any more than they already have. :)

Happy rest-of-the-weekend!

Zeb

7 Comments:

  • At 4:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    It HAS gotten a bit snarky over in the Green Room lately. For that matter, in the other most-used fora too. All the "Mods deleting my (stupid) posts" crud. Yechhh.
    Glad you are making the upgrade to 64k mp3pro. If I could afford the storage, I'd be back at that bitrate too. But, I've got a 23 hour playlist at 32k mp3pro, & some of my tracks, err....aren't really candidates for 64k since they are 90 years old & at 48k...d'oh!
    So glad you can enjoy the hobby again.
    Love & Peace, Clarence

     
  • At 5:10 PM , Blogger zebby rhoads said...

    Clarence-- yeah, I sometimes wonder, when I come across some of these 60s-and-early-70s tracks, how much good 64K is actually going to do for them (I try to clean 'em up as best I can, though). I can only imagine how the problem magnifies with 90-year-old music (laugh). :)

    The enjoyment of running the station continues to increase as I get closer to my goal of re-ripping 100 percent of the "old" library!!! Best estimate-- I'm about 70 percent there. It'll be nice to come home one of these days and see NO CDs or lists of iTunes tracks to buy!!!

    How is 32K Pro treating you, by the way? I've heard mostly good stuff about it, though I vaguely recall a few grumbles from contemporary pop-oriented folk about frequency response. Personally, I've tuned in to your and a few other streams at that rate in the recent past and thought it sounded pretty good. :)

    Cheers!

    Z

     
  • At 5:12 PM , Blogger maximumbroadway said...

    I especially like the "Someone said this was OK, and no one refuted it, so it must be legal" approach to the law. I normally stay out of legal discussions, but I had to respond to that one.

    Anyhow, I'm still hanging in there and trying to be a positive, but I have been reducing my time on the boards. It's amazing how many hours there are in a day when you spend them on things that are actually productive. Who knew?

     
  • At 5:39 PM , Blogger zebby rhoads said...

    Hey! The other "Z" musta snuck in a comment at about the same time I was sneaking in mine! Good to see you again! I'm a show-tuney kinda mood this afternoon, too! :)

    Yeah, I love the logic that permeates the Green Room sometimes... so far, in that particular thread, we've gotten (as you noted) "it must be OK 'cause everyone here says so," "why not try it?," "the law is unconstitutional" (it's clearly not) and "we're all gutless wonders for not taking a challenge to the law to the Supreme Court" (oooh, expensive... and it helps if you actually have a respectable case that won't get laughed out of chambers even if you DO have the funding to sustain such an action).

    So I dunno-- I noticed the other day that someone had FINALLY gotten around to trimming the number of topics to 4 pages... but it all still looks like a big overgrown jungle to me there now. And it's simply amazing how quickly the ole "no station-specific promotions" rule, once the product of a gentleperson's agreement that kept (almost) everyone civil, focused and producing useful and informative topics, has fallen by the wayside.

    I still enjoy Live, as I suspect you guys do too. But as you noted, z (er... or should i call you "Maximum" here?!), it's simply mind-boggling how much more enjoyable it is when you actually spend most of your day's Live-dedicated time to your stream and/or to discussions with reasonable people instead of going into the Community with sword drawn to jump into your choice of the latest melees which have broken out there. :)

    (the other) Z

     
  • At 11:02 PM , Blogger maximumbroadway said...

    I'm not trying to be overly formal with my screen name - just trying to build the brand, create shareholder value, and all that stuff.

    Plus, I haven't quite all the Blogger options sorted out yet. My real name is in there somewhere, but I guess it's on a need to know basis.

    See ya later.

     
  • At 3:09 PM , Blogger Bob Keller said...

    Ooooo..... Now I'll have to go back to the Green Room and find the discussion in question.

    I had thought you were refering to "our" latest mild disagreement over the Supreme Court Ruling until I notice your blog post was dated "Sunday," before you and I discussed the impact of the *Grokster* ruling.

    At any rate, please never take any offense at my comments.

    Warmest Regards!

     
  • At 5:22 PM , Blogger zebby rhoads said...

    wiz-- I can't remember ever taking your comments "personally" in the sense that I thought they amounted to anything less than an honest intellectual position being advanced or defended by someone who has a profoundly impressive range of interests, issues and thoughts! That's one of the reasons you (and for that matter, the other Live-ers who've filtered in over here to grace the blog with their comments recently) are definitely NOT one of the people about which I railed in an earlier blog entry. And for purposes of decorum and decency, I'll keep the identities of those individuals to myself (laugh). :)

    In any case, as I noted in a follow-up Green Room entry, I *do* find the *Grokster* ruling interesting, and personally, I sorta wish it'd come out the other way. But I'm also persuaded by the Court's reasoning to some extent that when a product is produced and marketed virtually SOLELY for the purpose of copyright infringement, it falls outside of the ambit of the protections that *Sony* wisely crafted for recording devices.

    I was most interested in Souter's separate concurrence (#2 at the Findlaw link I provided), which points out that P2P is highly likely to develop into an even more robust-- and useful-- *non-infringing* information-sharing medium in the future. That, in turn, is likely to force the Court to revisit (if not modify) the *Grokster* holding in future years (or decades, or what-have-you). For now, however, I gotta admit that the theories of both secondary and vicarious liability that MGM counsel proffered fit the whole Grokster P2P situation to a "T."

    It's great havin' ya over here to join the other wonderful company from Live, too, buddy! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home