PLANET ZEB! Internet Radio

The blogspot for the award-winning PLANET ZEB! Internet Radio, playing a better variety of 80s/90s-based rock and pop on Live365.com/iTunes/iRadio/TiVO and more. Come on in and read up on what's going on and chat with other Zebbites!!

Monday, March 21, 2005

Welcome to the...errr... station "blog".....

Howdy peeps! Well, this is something of an experiment, and only time will tell if it's feasible to continue over time... but it seems like fun for now, and who knows? It may wind up facilitating communication between audience and station (in particular, me, because I'm a busybody who likes to ramble incessantly about various things and then hear directly from listeners about both my programming and my rambling...grin), and that's a good thing. :)

I should note the following for the record: (1) My name is Zebby. (2) I operate an internet radio station,
PLANET ZEB!, at Live365, the world's largest network of independent internet radio stations and a pretty cool place to be. (3) PLANET ZEB! started as a little "private" stream back in April, 2000, to entertain myself and a few of my wayward ole radio pals from our days as announcers and programming staff in U.S. broadcast radio throughout the 80s and 90s, but quickly grew in popularity with an 80s-based AOR/CHR (album oriented rock/contemporary hit radio) hybrid format that a friend of mine and I developed for the old WLCS-AM of Baton Rouge Louisiana (where I grew up). I was truly amazed at how quickly the station grew an audience.... it underscored, to me, how pathetic contemporary commercial radio had become with its ever-tighter genre restrictions, playlists and record company big-money marketing! (4) The station (which I refer to as PZ for short) is now #2 overall at Live365, and regularly gets about a quarter of a million listening hours per month from well over 150 countries.

Among other things I should note is that I'm much more of a radio person than a computer guy; for example, I've never believed I was The Artist Formerly Known As Prince and spelled the word "you" as "U." It also took me a hell of a long time to figure out what a "blog" was until I read it in a computer magazine somewhere; it strikes me as a particularly stupid word for a particularly neat and innovative concept-- the online diary! But alas, when in Rome.... so OK, "blog" it is, with apologies to the Queen's English (and to the Queen herself, for that matter, who, I am reasonably sure, will never have a "blog." Or at least she won't call it that. But I'd love to hear what she has to say about Camilla on a raging drunk one night if she ever created one).

Another thing you should know is that I wound up here at blogger.com as the result of having called to my attention a very nice comment from a fellow blogger, who said great things about PZ-- you can find "Scotland"
here. He's the reason this blog is here! I had to create an account to post a reply, thanking him, and mom always raised me to let people know when I appreciated their efforts on my behalf. So suddenly, I was a member of the "blog" community. :)

So here we go-- I'll try to post updates, entries, replies to comments, etc. on a regular basis... and with the exception of this introductory message, all entries will allow new comments from any comers who wish to grace the forum with their thoughts, good, bad, indifferent, etc. Thanks for bearing with my learning curve as I become a "blogger." Hmmm... I wonder if I qualify for the t-shirt now..... :)

Cheers!!!

Z