PLANET ZEB! Internet Radio

The blogspot for the award-winning PLANET ZEB! Internet Radio, playing a better variety of 80s/90s-based rock and pop on Live365.com/iTunes/iRadio/TiVO and more. Come on in and read up on what's going on and chat with other Zebbites!!

Monday, July 16, 2007

reminiscences....

Well, this is the danger of occasionally lapsing into one of those periods when I think about all the great people I knew and all the fun I had in commercial broadcast radio back in the eighties... I start to miss it all. Strangely enough, at the moment, what I seem to miss the most (although they're actually still around these parts packed in a box in the attic or something) is... well... don't laugh... my HEADPHONES.

They weren't just ANY headphones... from the time I found them at WLCS in Baton Rouge in the Summer of 1984 right up through MOST of my work at KAJUN 103 FM in the early 1990s, I faithfully and lovingly used the same bloody set of cans.... a big, beautiful blue pair of Stanton Dynaphase Sixty headphones... that were TRULY to die for.

Largely, the "dying for" part consisted of the fact that they felt like they weighed a few metric tons on your head (laugh again). But the Dynaphase Sixties were beautiful-- basically, small home speakers with separate high/low frequency cones that were strapped together over the top of your head with a reenforced metal strap that felt like it could hold a strafed battleship afloat. Now those were the days when someone knew how to make headphones for the professional radio market. Often, I discovered at WLCS (where the jock had his/her back to the entry door to the studio) that people were afraid to try to sneak in behind me when I wore them because if I was startled and flung my head too quickly around, the Stantons-- always my friends and protectors, as they drove thousands of decibels of beautiful, pristine, crystal-clear sound into my music-addled brain-- would FLY off my ears and attack them with the ferocity and damage that only a good 20-pound-or-so pair of headphones or a pit bull could accomplish.

I just finished visiting the Stanton website for old times' sake, and they, like every other headphone company in the world, have decided that lighter is better. And I suppose these days, you really can get a better speaker in a lighter 'phone that most really wimpy-weenie girlie man DJs appreciate. But as for me... well... I am decidedly old-school on this point, friend. Put me in front of a board that has round pots as opposed to sliders and analog vU meters instead of the digital kind. Give me carts... or at the most, CDs... so that I can HOLD the music and the spots I'm playing instead of telling a very impersonal computer what digital file I wish to play next.

Then, watch as I put the Dynaphase Sixties on my head, feeling as if I have just been crowned King of England and Defender of the Faith because of the friggin' weight of the damned things. And it doesn't matter HOW loudly I turn them up to make my ears bleed, because their ear insulation WILL NOT feed back over the mic. Guaranteed. And then give me a few tracks from Billy Idol, Dio, Scorpions or one of the other staples of my foolish and decadent DJ days... and stand back. I'll take it from there. :)

"Give me a wheel of oaken wood... a rein of polished leather.... a heavy horse and a tumbling sky.... brewing heavy weather."

(bonus points if you can identify the lyric) :)

'Til next time!

Zeb

2 Comments:

  • At 7:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't know the song, but I'd guess it's likely a Tull lyric coming from you.

     
  • At 9:23 PM , Blogger zebby rhoads said...

    ding ding ding... we have a winner!

    "Heavy Horses," from the album of the same name, by Jethro Tull. :)

    and my Dynaphase Sixties STILL beat the crap out of all the other i-this and that lightweight peon-phones I've ever tried. :D

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home